Japanese Language & Culture

Nami Ohara teaches Japanese language and culture to students in St. John's, NL and also around the world via Skype Lessons. This blog is designed to provide Japanese lessons, notes on Japanese culture and lots of other fun Japanese related stuff to enhance the learning experience of Japanese language students everywhere.
Japanese-na Nihongo (Facebook Group)

Monday, July 5, 2010

Onigiri Workshop

       
It’s an Onigiri workshop's day. Seven students participated in this event.

What is onigiri about?
Onigiri is a rice ball which is a Japanese food made from cooked short grain rice formed into triangular (Sankaku) or oval shapes (Tawara) commonly rapped in seaweed. Traditionally, an ongiri is filled with umeboshi, salted salmon,  shio konbu or any other salty ingredients as a natural preservative.

Today's Agenda

1. Self-introduction (Jiko-shoukai)

2. Learning Japanese words

いただきます = Itadakimasu = Thank you for the food (before eating)

おいしい = Oishii = yummy

おいしくない= Oishikunai = not yummy

塩辛い = しおからい = Shiokarai = salty

甘い = あまい = Amai = sweet

お腹一杯 = おなかいっぱい = Onaka ippai = I’m full

ごちそうさまでした = Gochisousama deshita = Thank you for the food (after finishing)

3. Talking about Tanabata (七夕 = たなばたStar Festival on July 7th) and discussed wishes (願いごと = ねがいごと= negaigoto).

4. Making and Eating Onigiri
Ingredients:
Takuan pickles, Takana pickles, cooked rice, nori (seaweed), umeboshi
Furikake (sardine, yukari, chicken, tarako, aona, ume, aona)
Tuna & mayonaise

Students’ Comments:
 Onigiri is good and pleasant to make. The sardine seasoning was particularly welcome.
     - Stuart
 I'd just like to say I really enjoyed the workshop, and the onigiri was very おいしい!
     - Leah
It was a wonderful experience, cooking and eating and discussing japanese cooking and culture with my peers.
     - Jordan
I loved onigiri a lot, it's great. I wanna make it with my friends sometime this summer.
     - John
I really enjoyed making the onigiri and it was oishii , I also enjoyed the time to interact and and do our introductions in japanese which was good practice. Overall It was a very good time, and I hope now I can make onigriri for my family (which my sister loves a lot)
     - Deana





       

2 comments:

  1. Hello Nami! It's Leah. (:

    I'd just like to say I really enjoyed the workshop, and the onigiri was very おいしい! (tehe)

    Thank you you for having me. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved onigiri a lot, it's great. I wanna make it with my friends sometime this summer.

    ReplyDelete