Japanese Language & Culture

Nami Ohara teaches Japanese language and culture to students in St. John's, NL and also around the world via Skype Lessons. This blog is designed to provide Japanese lessons, notes on Japanese culture and lots of other fun Japanese related stuff to enhance the learning experience of Japanese language students everywhere.
Japanese-na Nihongo (Facebook Group)

Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Word of the Month for July

        
今月の単語(こんげつ  の  たんご/ kongetsu no tango)

でも  (demo) = but, however


e.g.)

1. たべたい でも たべない (Tabetai demo tabenai)
I want to eat, but I will not eat…..because I want to lose weight.

2. てれび  を みたい でも みない (Terebi wo mitai demo minai)
I want to watch TV, but I will not watch…. because I have an exam tomorrow.

3. にそく でも さんだる (Nisoku demo Sandaru)
It’s two pairs, but they are sandals.
そく (Nisoku) =2  さんだる (Sandaru)=3
        

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Nami, This is useful. And I love the last little commercial with the counters. It is always great to have an opportunity to practice them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this word.

    Is the last example a play on words because sandaru sounds like sandals? ^_^

    ReplyDelete