Japanese Language & Culture

Nami Ohara teaches Japanese language and culture to students in St. John's, NL and also around the world via Skype Lessons. This blog is designed to provide Japanese lessons, notes on Japanese culture and lots of other fun Japanese related stuff to enhance the learning experience of Japanese language students everywhere.
Japanese-na Nihongo (Facebook Group)

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Koroshite!! ???

I will introduce the language mistakes made by people who are learning the Japanese language. What kind of mistakes do native English speakers make in Japan?


1. Koroshite! (殺して=ころして)

When Tom rode in a taxi in Japan, he meant to say “oroshite” which means “drop me off.” However, he said “koroshite.” What is the meaning of “koroshite?” It means “kill me”!

2. Oshiri! (お尻ください=おしり ください)

In a Japanese restaurant, customers are served a hot wet towel which is called “Oshibori.” Mike found that there were not enough “Oshibori” for his group, so he said “one more a hot towel please “ in Japanese to the waitress. Everyone laughed. Why? He forgot to pronounce “bo”! He said “one more Oshiri”! “Oshiri” means buttock!

3. Okusan Kowai! (奥さん怖い=おくさん こわい)

When James was invited to his supervisor’s house, he wanted to say his wife is pretty. Then, he said his wife is “Kowai.” His supervisor was surprised at James’s words because James said that his wife was “scary.” James should say” Kawii” not “Kowai.”

4. Oshiri misete! (お尻見せて=おしり みせて)

Nancy went to see an apartment with a real estate agent. She asked him “Oshiri Misete.” He was shocked. Nancy wanted to see the closet which is “Oshiire” in Japanese. She had to say “Oshiire misete.” However, she said “oshiri misete.” It means “show me your buttock.”

5. Unchi(私はうんち=わたしは うんち)

Karaoke is very popular in Japan. By the way, do you know the meaning of Karaoke? Kara means emptiness and Oke means a short version of Orchestra. Anyway, Sheryl was asked to sing, but she does not like karaoke, so she refused with the phrase “I’m unchi.” After this phrase, everyone laughed. She meant that she is “tone deafness.” She should say “I’m onchi,” but she said” I’m unchi.” It means “I‘m poop.”

I laughed a lot to these mistakes in Japan; however, I cannot laugh at them anymore because I made a lot of similar mistakes in Canada.

1. How do you like your meat?

In a restaurant, I was asked “how do you like your meat?” I answered Oh, I love very much.

2. Would you like to play with me?

I asked a Canadian male roommate “would you like to play with me?” when I wanted to play a board game.

3. Do you have the time?

While I was waiting for my friend, one guy asked me “do you have the time?” I replied “No thank you,” even though I wore a watch. Why? I thought that the guy was asking me to go some place.

4. L and R

It is not easy for Japanese to manage L and R sounds. I wanted to tell my Canadian friend, you are very “elegant,” but she interpreted my word “arrogant.”

5. Virginia Monologue

I attended an audition for “Virginia Monologue” with people who also wanted to participate in the play. During the audition, other participants started saying candy, chocolate, cheese, box, cock pit, hole, down there...I do not remember anymore. Anyway, everybody laughed a lot. I totally lost what participants had to do. I asked other attendant about this audition…. Holly Smoke! It’s not “Virginia Monologue!”

Please enjoy communicating with non-native English speakers. Also, please try to use or learn another language. It’s fun!

2 comments:

  1. Those are very funny and cute. I hope I do not make too many mistakes in Japan. I will be afraid to talk to people. ^^;

    ReplyDelete