Japanese Language & Culture

Nami Ohara teaches Japanese language and culture to students in St. John's, NL and also around the world via Skype Lessons. This blog is designed to provide Japanese lessons, notes on Japanese culture and lots of other fun Japanese related stuff to enhance the learning experience of Japanese language students everywhere.
Japanese-na Nihongo (Facebook Group)

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Washing What???

My friend asked me the meaning of the following commercial.  I think that this ad uses curling because the players look like they are washing the floor with a mop. I did not know this sport when I was in Japan.



“It’s a car!”

“It’s a car!”

“It’s a car….!”

We are polishing (cars).

Our service is professional as well as reasonable (inexpensive).

Car-Washing Professionals!

(Japanese)

「車だ!」 (くるまだ)

「車だ!」(くるまだ)

「車だ~・・・」(くるまだ)

車磨いてます(くるま みがいてます)

洗車のプロ、しかも安い!(せんしゃ の ぷろ しかもやすい!)

洗車職人! (せんしゃしょくにん)

Kuruma da!

Kuruma da!

Kuruma da!

Kuruma migaitemasu

Sensha no puro, shikamo yasui!

Sensha shokunin
                              

2 comments:

  1. I don't know why, but I really love watching curling. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just learned that curling wasn't an official Olympic sport until the 1998 Nagano games. Prior to that it had only been a demonstration sport. In 星のカービィ64 (released in 2000), Kirby could turn into a curling rock, which surprised a lot of people. The Nagano games probably introduced a lot of Japanese people to the sport.

    I used to curl nearly 10 years ago, it's really fun.

    ReplyDelete